Kristin Armstrong (Boise, Idaho/Team Exergy Twenty12) used a two-woman breakaway to secure second place in today’s Ronde Van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders), losing out in the final few hundred meters to a late acceleration by breakaway companion Judith Arndt (Germany/GreenEDGE-AIS).
USA Cycling’s National Development Program women rode a strong race, taking to the front of the peloton at the second cobblestone section and joining several unsuccessful breakaways. As the race hit the cobbled Oude Kwaremont climb around the 100-kilometer mark, Armstrong and Arndt attacked. They were soon pursued by a three-woman group that included Armstrong’s teammate Andrea Dvorak (Crozet, Va./Team Exergy Twenty12), but that chase group was later absorbed by the peloton.
As the two leaders neared the finish, Armstrong tried a solo acceleration. But this effort was matched by Arndt, who surged to the finish two seconds ahead of Armstrong.
The 127-kilometer Ronde Van Vlaanderen was the third UCI Women’s World Cup race of the season.
Including Armstrong and Dvorak, the USA Cycling National Development Program team consisted of Kasey Clark (Lafayette, Colo./Primal-MapMyRide Women’s Racing), Kristin McGrath (Boise, Idaho/Team Exergy Twenty12), Carmen Small (Durango, Colo./Team Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies), and Tayler Wiles(Sandy, Utah/Exergy Twenty12). The same squad will again take to the roads of Belgium tomorrow in theGrand Prix de Dottignies.
Ronde Van Vlaanderen
April 1, 2012
1. Judith Arndt (GER/GreenEDGE-AIS) 3:19:05
2. Kristin Armstrong (Boise, Idaho/Team Exergy Twenty12) +0:02
3. Joelle Numainville (CAN/Canadian National Team) +0:30
13. Carmen Small (Durango, Colo./Team Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies) +0:30
28. Andrea Dvorak (Crozet, Va./Team Exergy Twenty12) +0:30
30. Tayler Wiles (Sandy, Utah/Exergy Twenty12) +0:30
43. Kristin McGrath (Boise, Idaho/Team Exergy Twenty12) +1:52