The Lotto-Belisol Professional Cycling Team had a secret weapon ready just in time for the Prologue of the 2012 Tour de France, the new Lazer Wasp aerodynamic helmet!
The Wasp (Watt Saving Performance) helmet has been developed in secret over the past 12 months using cutting edge technology and is the fastest commercially available aerodynamic helmet in the world. The Wasp helmet has been tested by the STAPS Institute for aerodynamic performance. This testing has shown, as compared to current best performing aerodynamic helmet on the market today, the Wasp helmet can provide a performance advantage of between 2 and 4 watts at 45kph, or 12 seconds over 40 kilomters. As compared to less well performing aerodynamic helmets the performance gain is as high as 12 watts! It’s an incredible leap forward in aerodynamic helmet technology!
The Wasp helmet incorporates Lazer Dual Layer Aerodynamics which employs a “trip wire” on the top surface of the helmet in order to create small air vortices on the tail of the helmet. These small air vortices help direct air over the tail and avoid the development of larger air vortices which can negatively affect aerodynamic performance.
The tail section of the Wasp helmet has also been designed to keep the gap between the tail and the riders back to an absolute minimum, further increasing aerodynamic performance.
Additional features of the Wasp helmet include:
- Integrated visor with fore / aft adjustment for maximum aerodynamics, perfect position on the riders face and to increase ventilation if desired.
- Front intake vents, rear exhaust vents and molded EPS air channels for airflow through entire helmet to keep head cool and comfortable.
- Lazer AUTOFIT (patent pending) automatic retention system for an easy, comfortable and secure fit.
- Adjustable rear retention system for a fully customized fit on the back of the rider’s head.
- Tinted or clear visor options.
- A distinctive look! No helmet looks faster, no helmet performs better!
The Lazer Wasp helmet will be available in two size options (53-56cm or 57-60cm) and will have a retail price of $399 when sold with the visor ($299 without visor).
Additional details on the Lazer Wasp helmet will be available in time for Eurobike 2012.
The Lazer Wasp aerodynamic helmet will be available to consumers in January 2013.