Alberto Contador unsure about 2013 Tour invite for Saxo-Tinkoff Bank
This article is sponsored by Bespoke Post. Bespoke Post scours the world for time-tested, small-batch, or otherwise remarkable gear. Check out their theme-driven boxes, choice products, and the stories behind it all.
MADRID (AP) — Alberto Contador has asked Tour de France organizers if his SaxoBank team will be invited to compete in next year’s race.
The two-time champion was stripped of his 2010 Tour title for testing positive for clenbuterol. He missed last year’s race while serving a ban.
The Spaniard said Thursday his request is ”not a means of pressuring” organizers. But ”we are waiting to see if we will be a World Tour team or not. If not, we’ll need an invitation for the grand tours.”
Contador says he needs at least two months to prepare for the Tour and is considering racing in only one grand tour next year.
He declined to comment on Lance Armstrong’s doping case ”until a certain time has passed.”