The riders of the USA Cycling Professional Cyclo-cross Calendar (Pro CX) returned to action after a hiatus for the holidays, competing in the Chicago Cyclocross Cup New Year’s Resolution in Bloomingdale, Ill., on Saturday and Sunday. After overcoming cold, snowy conditions on Saturday, the riders were greeted by frigid temperatures on Sunday, which made for exciting racing in two very different races. The plummeting mercury had no effect on the riders as points grow scarce with only two more events remaining on the calendar.
Jeremy Powers (Easthampton, Mass./Team Rapha Focus) won Saturday’s race to rack up 60 points and regain the top spot of the Pro CX men’s standings. Powers now has 870 points, 46 points ahead of Ryan Trebon (Bend, Ore./Cannondale-Clement), who is in second place. James Driscoll (Winooski, Vt./Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld) placed second in Saturday’s race before winning Sunday’s contest to add 100 points to his total. Driscoll sits in third place, 40 points behind Trebon and only 72 points ahead of Timothy Johnson (Topsfield, Mass./Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld). Ben Berden (BEL/Raleigh-Clement) rounds out the top five with 680 points.
Despite not competing in Illinois last weekend, Helen Wyman (GBR/Kona Factory Team) has clinched the top spot of the Pro CX women’s standings. Wyman has a 170-point lead on Katie Compton (Colorado Springs, Colo./Trek Cyclocross Collective) with only two events remaining. Compton sits in second place with 600 points, eight points ahead of Crystal Anthony (Beverly, Mass./LadiesFirst Racing), who is in third place with 592 points. Arley Kemmerer (Saylorsburg, Pa./C3-Athletes Serving Athletes), who won Sunday’s race after placing fourth on Saturday, is in fifth place with 571 points. Laura van Gilder (Cresco, Pa./Mellow Mushroom) is in fifth place with 445 points.
USA Cycling Pro CX Standings:
- Jeremy Powers (Easthampton, Mass./Team Rapha-Focus) 870
- Ryan Trebon (Bend, Ore./Cannondale-Clement) 824
- Jamey Driscoll (Winooski, Vt./Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com) 784
- Timothy Johnson (Topsfield, Mass./Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com) 712
- Ben Berden (BEL/Raleigh-Clement) 680
- Helen Wyman (GBR/Kona Factory Team) 770
- Katie Compton (Colorado Springs, Colo./Trek Cyclocross Collective) 600
- Crystal Anthony (Beverly, Mass./LadiesFirst Racing) 592
- Arley Kemmerer (Saylorsburg, Pa./C3-Athletes Serving Athletes) 571
- Laura Van Gilder (Cresco, Pa./Mellow Mushroom) 445
- Logan Owen (Bremerton, Wash./Redline) 240
- Spencer Downing (Boulder, Colo./CLIF Bar Development Cyclocross Team) 238
- Curtis White (Delanson, N.Y./Hot Tubes Development Cycling Team) 200
- Maxx Chance (Boulder, Colo./CLIF Bar Development Cyclocross Team) 145
- Tyler Schwartz (Newport Beach, Calif./Surf City Cyclery-Sterling BMW) 142
For complete standings, visit the Pro CX official webpage at usacycling.org/cnc.
The Pro CX winds into its penultimate event this weekend. The nation’s best cyclo-cross riders will descend upon Wisconsin to contest the 2013 USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships in Badger Prairie State Park in Verona, Wis., on Jan. 12-13.