The first portion of the 2013 USA Cycling Amateur BMX National Championships took place Saturday in Phoenix, Ariz., as the collegiate riders took to the Black Mountain BMX Track. A record turnout of 52 riders, more than twice the participation of 2012, battled it out for individual and team titles on behalf of 12 colleges and universities in front of over 5,000 enthusiastic BMX fans.
Women’s participation more than tripled from last year, to 23 total entrants, but the top result remained the same as last year:Dominique Daniels (Gilbert, Ariz./Grand Canyon University) won the day after winning two of her motos and the semifinals, overcoming stiff competition from defending team champions Lindsey Wilson College and newcomers Marian University. Second place for the day went to the young Shayona Glynn (Norco, Calif./Norco College), who surged late in the main event to claim the silver. In third was last year’s fifth-place finisher, Crystal Kalogris (Fort Wayne, Ind./Marian University), followed closely by Lindsey Wilson College’s Stephanie Caluag (Columbia, Ky.) and Lindenwood University’s Madison Pitts (Lake Worth, Fla.).
On the men’s side, 29 riders took to the track, and the competition was tight all the way to the end. After dominating the day in their respective motos, the final was an extremely close match between defending champion Danny Caluag (Chino, Calif./Lindsey Wilson College), teammate Logan Collins (Mount Juliet, Tenn.), and Justin Posey (Winston Salem, N.C./Marian University). Once Posey took the lead early in the race, the pair from Lindsey Wilson couldn’t pass him. Right in the thick of things, though, were Posey’s teammate Bryce Hocking (Carlsbad, Calif.) and fellow midwesterner Jarrod Adcock (Pekin, Ill./Northern Illinois University).
Defending champions Lindsey Wilson College came excruciatingly close to succeeding yet again, but Marian University continued their collegiate national championship surge and won a tiebreaker due to Justin Posey’s win. Fort Lewis College bested Lindenwood University for third, with Colorado Mesa University showing a strong performance for fifth, and placing as the best Division II program in the event.
The 2013 USA Cycling Amateur BMX National Championships resume in Nashville, Tenn., on June 1.
2013 USA Cycling Amateur BMX National Championships
Black Mountain BMX track
March 2, 2013
1. Marian University 177
2. Lindsey Wilson College 177
3. Fort Lewis College 137
4. Lindenwood University 122
5. Colorado Mesa University 113
1. Justin Posey (Winston Salem, N.C./Marian University)
2. Danny Caluag (Chino, Calif./Lindsey Wilson College)
3. Logan Collins (Mount Juliet, Tenn./Lindsey Wilson College)
4. Bryce Hocking (Carlsbad, Calif./Marian University)
5. Jarrod Adcock (Pekin, Ill./Northern Illinois University)
1. Dominique Daniels (Gilbert, Ariz./Grand Canyon University)
2. Shayona Glynn (Norco, Calif./Norco College)
3. Crystal Kalogris (Fort Wayne, Ind./Marian University)
4. Stephanie Caluag (Columbia, Ky./Lindsey Wilson College)
5. Madison Pitts (Lake Worth, Fla./Lindenwood University)