Canadian electric bike manufacturer OHM Cycles, in collaboration with SRAM and Gates Carbon Drive, will debut its new Urban XU450 E2 electric bike at the Taipei International Cycle Show, March 20-23. The bike features the new SRAM E-Matic automatic shifting system and the clean and low-maintenance Gates Carbon Drive, as well as a step-through frame for easy mounting and dismounting.
Aimed at the North American market, the XU450 E2 is designed for simplicity and convenience to attract consumers who are new to e-bikes and want a car-replacing alternative for commuting and errands.
The SRAM E-Matic automatically shifts to add the right level of pedaling assistance, removing the need for shifters and an LCD screen on the handle bar. Riders simply turn on the battery and start pedaling. The XU450 E2 also does away with a greasy chain in favor of a clean and quiet Gates Carbon Drive belt and sprockets.
“We designed this new model to make riding an e-bike even easier and more convenient,” says Michael DeVisser, CEO of OHM Cycles. “Just get on the bike and start pedaling. The SRAM E-Matic does the rest. The Gates belt drive is another huge convenience because it never needs to be lubricated and won’t get grease on your hands or clothes.”
The XU450 E2 is ideal for rental and resort markets thanks to its full step-through design that makes jumping on and off easy. The Advance™ series hydroformed frame makes the bike lighter, stronger and more rigid for better handling. It will be available in four sizes to fit a broad range of riders.
As the leading electric bike manufacturer in Canada, OHM Cycles hopes to tap into the growing North American and worldwide markets for e-bikes. Electric bikes are already being used widely for urban commuting, and have commercial applications for police, security, resorts, rentals, and delivery services. Electric bike sales now account for two out of every ten bikes sold in Europe, and the trend is catching on in North America.
Customers can start ordering in spring 2013 through OHM Factory Stores or OHM Authorized Dealers at www.ohmcycles.com. OHM will debut more new models with Carbon Drive in September, timed for coverage at Eurobike and Interbike.
Journalists attending the Taipei International Cycle Show can view the OHM Urban XU450 E2 in the Gates Carbon Drive booth: N0623 in the Nangang Hall.
Key Features and Components:
- Built for urban commuters and price-conscious customers who want the benefit of pedal assistance with the simplicity of automatic shifting and low maintenance of a belt drive.
- 36V Li-ion battery available in three sizes.
- Available in multiple frame sizes to accommodate a wide range of rider heights.
- ADVANCE™ hydroforming produces a strong, light and rigid frame, with a standard wheelbase for best maneuverability and handling.
- SRAM Elixir 3 hydraulic disc brakes for precise control and stopping power.
- SRAM E-Matic battery integrated with rear carrying rack is available in different power capacities depending on the customer’s needs for range and power.
- Gates Carbon Drive CenterTrack system.
- Schwalbe ENERGIZER Plus tires with GreenGuard puncture protection, low rolling friction and excellent grip.
- Two-year warranty.