Roberto Ferrari was fourth but Cavendish, who was first in Wednesday’s opening team time trial, crossed in fifth to retain the lead. The British rider has a 2-second advantage over teammate Michal Kwiatkowski, with another Omega Pharma-Quickstep rider, Niki Terpstra in third.
The 118-mile stage Friday is a flat route from Indicatore to Narni Scalo.
The race ends on Tuesday with an individual time trial in San Benedetto del Tronto.
Stage 2 Brief Results:
- Matthew Goss (Australia / Orica) 5:48:41″
- Manuel Belletti (Italy / AG2R) ST
- Gerald Ciolek (Germany / Team MTN)
- Roberto Ferrari (Italy / Lampre)
- Mark Cavendish (Britain / Omega Pharma – Quick-Step)
- Arnaud Demare (France / FDJ)
- Andre Greipel (Germany / Lotto)
- Kristian Sbaragli (Italy / Team MTN)
- Peter Sagan (Slovakia / Cannondale)
- Davide Appollonio (Italy / AG2R)
General Classification After Stage 2: