The 2014 USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships kicked off under sunny skies and temperatures in the upper 30s on Wednesday at Valmont Bike Park in Boulder, Colo., with Stars-and-Stripes jerseys awarded to the men’s and women’s singlespeed champions. The course threw ever-changing conditions at the riders throughout the day as the snow cover began to melt, leaving a slick and muddy track.
The first national title went to Maureen Bruno-Roy (Arlington, Mass./Bob’s Red Mill p/b Seven Cycles), who rode away with the women’s singlespeed national title. After battling with Ellen Noble (Kennebunkport, Maine/Trek Cyclocross Collective) through the first lap and a half, Bruno-Roy steadily pulled away from the field to win the race by 57 seconds over her closest competitor and secure the Stars-and-Stripes jersey. On the second lap, Noble began facing a strong challenge from Ellen Sherrill (South Lake Tahoe, Calif./Bicycle Bluebook-HRS-Rock Lobster Cyclocross). Sherrill turned in strong second and third laps to place second. Jessica Cutler (Seattle, Wash./Bikesport Nw-Jamis) finished third, only 10 seconds ahead of Amanda Nauman (Mission Viejo, Calif./SDG Felt), who was fourth. Noble rolled across the finish line in fifth place.
“I came out, I was just hoping to get used to the course and try out the singlespeed bike and have a little bit of fun. Getting the win is pretty special,” Bruno-Roy said. “It’s nice to ride alone because you can pick your own lines. If the bike is sliding, you can just follow the bike, whereas the first lap, I was sitting behind a few riders. I couldn’t see what was in front of me. I just had to almost pay more attention and be sharper. I enjoy being alone and picking my own lines and sliding around a little bit.”
Tim Allen (Golden, Colo./Feedback Sports Racing) utilized a similar tactic as Bruno-Roy to handily win the men’s singlespeed title. Allen separated himself from Braden Kappius(Littleton, Colo./Team Clif Bar Cycling) after the second lap and never looked back, winning by over a minute to earn his first cyclo-cross Stars-and-Stripes jersey. Behind him there was a furious battle with Kappius nipping both Corey Stelljus (Madison, Wis./Racers Against Childhood Cancer) and William Iaia (Centennial, Colo./Groove Subaru Excel Sports) for the silver medal, 1:07 slower than Allen.
“It started cooling off which is good for me,” said Allen. “It was a total mountain bikers paradise — technical, mud, snow, you name it the conditions were perfect. The key was to ride smart and I think I chose the lucky gear. I was way under gear compared to everyone else I talked to. I was definitely spun out on the road but when it came to all the mud and all the turns, I was just spinning, so I think that helped.”
The morning started with racing in five non-championship events, including an industry race. Carolina Gomez Villafane (ARG/Northern California-Nevada Cycling Association (NCNCA)) won the women’s non-championship race, Brannan Fix (Fort Collins, Colo./Boo Bicycles-TrainingPeaks) topped the men’s 10-29 podium, Bryson Perry (Sandy, Utah/DNA Cycling) won the men’s 30-44 race and David Weber(Boulder, Colo./Team Kappius) topped the podium in the men’s 45-and-up contest. In the industry race, Logan VonBokel (Fort Collins, Colo./Think Finance p/b Trek Bike Stores) rode away with the victory.
The racing continues through Sunday, Jan. 12. Thursday’s action features the first masters races, with masters men 50-and-up and masters women 40-and-up lining up for competition.
Live Streaming of Races
Sunday’s juniors men and elite men and women races will be streamed live on USA Cycling’s YouTube channel beginning at 11 a.m.
For complete details on this event, including a schedule, results, course map and photo gallery, please visit the event website. If you can’t make it out for the event, follow all of the action throughout the week on Twitter using the hashtag #CXNats.
2014 USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships
Valmont Bike Park
Men’s Singlespeed Race
- Tim Allen (Golden, Colo./Feedback Sports Racing) 44:10
- Braden Kappius (Littleton, Colo./Team Clif Bar Cycling) +1:07
- Corey Stelljus (Madison, Wis./Racers Against Childhood Cancer) s.t.
- William Iaia (Centennial, Colo./Groove Subaru Excel Sports) s.t.
- Colby Pearce (Boulder, Colo. ) +1:26
Women’s Singlespeed Race
- Maureen Bruno Roy (Arlington, Mass./Bob’s Red Mill p/b Seven Cycles) 40:24
- Ellen Sherrill (South Lake Tahoe, Calif./Bicycle Bluebook-HRS-Rock Lobster Cyclocross) +0:57
- Jessica Cutler (Seattle, Wash./Bikesport Nw-Jamis) +1:35
- Amanda Nauman (Mission Viejo, Calif./SDG Felt) +1:45
- Ellen Noble (Kennebunkport, Maine/Trek Cyclocross Collective) +3:29
Women’s Non-Championship Race
- Carolina Gomez Villafane (ARG/Northern California-Nevada Cycling Association (NCNCA)) 30:50
- Katie Clouse (Park City, Utah/Canyon Bicycles-Shimano) +1:31
- Tiziana DeHorney (Albuquerque, N.M./Get Out! New Mexico) +2:29
- Nicole Brandt (Inglewood, Calif./Velo Club LaGrange) +2:32
- Ashley Zoerner (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Alpha Bicycle Co.- Vista Subaru) +2:34
Men’s 10-29 Non-Championship Race
- Brannan Fix (Fort Collins, Colo./Boo Bicycles-TrainingPeaks) 34:52
- Brendan Rhim (Norwich, Vt./Woodstock Bicycle Club) +0:15
- Innokenty Zavyalov (Minneapollis, Minn./Minnesota Cycling Team) +0:54
- Stuart McKnight (Boulder, Colo./Boulder Junior Cycling) +1:36
- Evan Clouse (Park City, Utah/Canyon Bicycles-Shimano) +1:49
Men’s 30-44 Non-Championship Race
- Bryson Perry (Sandy, Utah/DNA Cycling) 35:49
- Kevin Bradford-Parish (Spokane, Wash./Set Coaching-Specialized) +0:24
- Greg Krause (Littleton, Colo./Groove Subaru Excel Sports) +1:08
- Russell Griffin (Denver/Cycleton) +1:56
- Jason Hartman (Centennial, Colo./Groove Subaru Excel Sports) +2:03
Men’s 45-and-up Non-Championship Race
- David Weber (Boulder, Colo./Team Kappius) 37:56
- James Cochran (Iowa City, Iowa/Atlas Cycling Team) +0:04
- Scott Forrest (Denver, Colo.) +0:39
- Kevin O’Brien (Erie, Colo./Groove Subaru Excel Sports) +0:59
- Thomas Meiser (Lakewood, Colo./Feedback Sports Racing) +1:59
- Logan VonBokel (Fort Collins, Colo./Think Finance p/b Trek Bike Stores) 39:00
- Donald Powell (Boulder, Colo./Horizon Organic-Panache Elite Cycling) +0:12
- Matthew Opperman (Longmont, Colo.) +0:30
- Tom Hopper (Superior, Colo.) +1:11
- Andrew Hager (Asheville, N.C./Team Hoffenchard) +1:52